BYLAWS OF THE MORRISTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
As adopted by the Board October 17th, 2022
Article 1 – Name
This organization is and shall be known as the Morristown Public Library. This organization has been created by virtue of the provisions in the Absolute Charter Number 1269 granted by the Regents of the University of the State of New York on June 26, 1899, and exercising the powers and authority and assuming the responsibilities delegated to it under the said charter. This organization shall be located at 200 Main Street, Morristown, St. Lawrence County, New York.
Article 2 – Object
The object of this Association shall be to organize, maintain and promote a Free Association Library in the town of Morristown for the use and benefit of all residents thereof.
Article 3 – Management
- The business and operation of the Morristown Public Library shall be managed and conducted by a Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees shall be five (5) in number at minimum and no more than fifteen (15) at maximum. Currently there are six (6) members and six (6) voting positions on the Board.
- A quorum shall consist of four (4) members of the Board.
- Trustees shall be elected by the Board members.
- Regular appointment/elections to the Board shall be made at the annual meeting of the Board. The term of membership as a Trustee of the Board shall be five (5) years unless the Trustee shall have resigned or otherwise terminated membership on the Board.
- Vacancies which occur for reasons other than expiration of the term shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term by appointment of the Board of Trustees.
- Trustees who shall fail to attend three (3) consecutive regular meetings of the Board, unless legitimately excused, shall be deemed to have resigned and will be notified by the Secretary. The vacancy will be filled by the Board at the next regular meeting or as soon as practicable.
Article 4 – Elections and Terms
- The officers of the Board of Trustees shall be elected by the Board at the Annual meeting each year and shall consist of President, Vice President, Financial Officer and Secretary. The officers shall be elected from among the members of the Board.
- The regular term of office for all officers shall be for one (1) year beginning January 1st and ending December 31st. The tenure for President shall be for five (5) consecutive terms. A person may be re-elected to the office of President after an absence of one (1) year. Vacancies shall be filled as in Article 3, section five (5), above.
- A Nominating Committee shall be appointed by the President at the September meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor. The vote for officers shall be by written ballot if two or more Trustees have been nominated for the same office.
Article 5 – Meetings
- Regular meetings of the Board shall be held at the Library. These shall be held a minimum of 6 times a year with the Annual Meeting to be held in November. The day, date and time shall be set by the Board at the Annual Meeting.
- All Board meetings with the exception of Executive Sessions shall be open to the public. A notice will be posted advertising each meeting in the Library, on the Library’s website, and Facebook page for publication.
- A quorum is required to carry out any meeting of the Board and is defined as a majority of its members.
- Special meetings to conduct the business of the library are called by the President and arranged by her/him or her/his delegate.
Article 6 – Amendments
- These Bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Association by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present as long as a quorum shall exist at said meeting. Any and all amendments must be presented in writing.